I didn’t take as many shots as I should have, especially toward the end where I was working frantically to finish.
Most of the construction is PVC pipe, bent where necessary by filling with sand and heating with a heat gun. The ignition arm is copper pipe, bent by good old fashioned brute force and then hammered into shape. Cone pieces are plastic jugs, cut down and sanded – there was a lengthy search to find parts of the right size and the cone on the propane tank was particularly tricky. The straps are polypropeline painted with polycarbonate spray.
This is the 1:1 scale print of the plans made from loads of screenshots and scaled to the proportions of the carrier.
The backpack tank constructed from packing foam. I chucked this one and remade it from architectural foam. A bit heavier but much tougher and better to work with.
Handle construction. I made a 3D model to help plan this part.
Propane tank build, this is the architectural foam. Filling those gaps was unspeakably fiddly. Next is the two main tanks coated in car body filler – on the left is the raw application on the right is after much sanding, with more to come.
The O2 tank being primed. To get a decent finish on all these parts took endless coats of spray putty and sanding and primer.
Some of the countless discs and rings that went into this thing. A shout out here for the Dremel which I used every day on this build for every aspect. Here it is attached to the little router table as I make the acrylic disc for the pressure gauge.
Secondary tank and cannisters made from PVC and styrene with some of the tank details underneath.
No shots at all of the backpack itself which was put together on the last day, but functioned really well. And actually getting all the bits attached to the suit was a right bastard too. Bolts were the answer.